Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Cinderella, Parallel Parking, and A Gelato Review

Well. It's been a while. Sorry. Whenever I post I find myself wondering that if I was more consistent, could I reach a wider audience? or maybe I'm in the wrong platform for that... Anyway.

I joined up with Pip and Lolly for a delightful afternoon at the theatre and then to explore a new cafe. We met up at the N4th Theater in Albuquerque to watch Elite Dance and Theatre's performance of Cinderella. As usual, the dancing and visual elements were stunning. This show, we decided, was not as emotionally impactful as Elite's previous show "Scarlet Letter," or "The Shoe Room" (if you want my review on that show you can find it here) but it made us all laugh. The characters were bright, witty, and just plain hilarious. This modern interpretation of the show included a Fairy Godfather, some glam converse, a reality TV contest, hip hop and ballet, and some awful pick up lines.

After the show and congratulating our friends who were in the production on the fantastic job they did, we headed to Deep Space Coffee for gelato. Gelato, in case you don't know, is Italian ice-cream. If you want to read a cool article on how it's different than ice cream click here.
I have never had gelato before, so I can't compare it very well, but it was delicious. Deep Space Coffee is a neat little independent cafe off of Central in ABQ. (Hence the parallel parking. I have never parallel parked before, but thankfully I had Lolly as my wingman--she got out of the car to help me park, haha!)

Deep Space Coffee, we discovered, has really fantastic atmosphere and fairly good customer service. I could say more for the presentation of the gelato itself (basically it was dumped into a bowl from a freezer package) but the taste made up for it. Also, they used real bowls and spoons--super cool. :)

Our thoughts on the actual gelato:


Pip: I think it was really good, but the presentation wasn't great. It sort of had the texture of a Popsicle; I expected it to be a little bit more liquid-y.  (she got the Mango Sorbet)

Lolly: It was somehow thinner than I anticipated. Mine had little pieces of lavender in it, and I'm not sure how I felt about that... I really liked the flavor but the fact that I had to chew the lavender was odd. (she got Thai Coconut)

Me: I got salted caramel. (Because, CARAMEL.) I think I was expecting it to be more like frozen yogurt, but it was a little more like very very smooth, hard ice-cream. The flavor was very intense, which was phenomenal. I'd be interested to try other places that serve gelato to see the differences.


And finally, would we go back to Deep Space Coffee for the gelato?

Pip: I wouldn't come back just for the gelato, but I would definitely like to try other things from Deep Space!

Lolly: Nope. I would go back to Deep Space, but not for the gelato.

Me: Mmmaybe. I think there are probably better places to get gelato, but I would come back here to try other things from their menu!


No comments:

Post a Comment